- apply their understanding of how to strengthen, stiffen and reinforce more complex structures
- understand and use mechanical systems in their products [for example, gears, pulleys, cams, levers and linkages]
- understand and use electrical systems in their products [for example, series circuits incorporating switches, bulbs, buzzers and motors]
- apply their understanding of computing to program, monitor and control their products
Use clay to make 3d sculptures. Investigate the uses of clay in products and how clay can be shaped in different ways.
Investigate different food sources. Find out about how meals are designed and created in terms of nutrition and advertising for a market.
Look at how food should be handled and why hygiene is so important when preparing and making food. Look at safety in the home when preparing food and hazards.
Understand what packaging is and the different types available. Research for different markets.
Find out how wood can be joined to make solid structures
Find out about different forms of textiles including knitting, weaving , crochet and what they are used for.
- use research and develop design criteria to inform the design of innovative, functional, appealing products that are fit for purpose, aimed at particular individuals or groups
- generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through discussion, annotated sketches, cross-sectional and exploded diagrams, prototypes, pattern pieces and computer-aided design
- select from and use a wider range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks [for example, cutting, shaping, joining and finishing], accurately
- select from and use a wider range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients, according to their functional properties and aesthetic qualities
- investigate and analyse a range of existing products
- evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria and consider the views of others to improve their work
- understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world